Original to Our Care-free Home were three walls covered in grass cloth. Perhaps they were stunning 50 years ago, but more recently they’re dated, dirty and torn. The two walls of grass cloth in the master bedroom were relatively easy (but time consuming) to remove, as they were attached to drywall. Some water, elbow grease and six or so hours, and the grass cloth was gone.
How did we do it? Six simple steps…
- Spray the wall with water.
- Wait five minutes for the water to permeate the grass cloth and paper foundation.
- Scrape off the grass cloth with a large putty knife.
- Spray additional water on the paper foundation.
- Scrape off the paper foundation with a large putty knife.
- Scrub the wood surface with thick sponges to remove the glue.